We just got back from University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle where I will have the surgery December 3. Had really good meetings with the surgeon and his staff, anesthesiologist, and radiation oncologist. We talked mainly logistics/process, so no major outcomes of those meetings. It does look like the surgeon will be removing my right kidney as well as a section of the right portion of my colon. Removing the kidney is due to the ureter (tube that connects the kidney to the bladder) being enveloped by the tumor, and the tumor has really pushed itself into the kidney and scrunched it up a bit. Given that the ureter should be removed (the kidney is useless without the ureter) and there is a good chance that there was some tumor seeding on the kidney itself, the kidney will be taken out. Coupled with the fact that the kidney is pretty easy to remove and I am not at risk for losing the other one, it makes total sense. Apparently the right colon is easier to remove, and we have about 5'-6' of it in our bodies, so there is plenty that is expendable. If the doctors determine a need, they can perform intra-operative radiation therapy designed to "boost" the radiation effects from the preoperative radiation treatment. If the surgeon cannot obtain the clean margins with the scalpel, the radiation can help sterilize the area. There are only nine locations in the country that have this intra-operative radiation equipment, so I am glad to be in the area.
Recovery will be about 5-6 days in the hospital, then I can go home. About 2 weeks after surgery, will head back to SEA to remove the staples and do a check in with the surgeon. I will be on "light duty" for about 6 weeks (cannot lift anything over 10lbs, no running, etc), then I can start exercising and getting back into shape. I should be able to hit the tail end of ski season- come on snow!
Hey Todd! Just getting back from Elk Camp and catching up. Glad you are keeping us all up to date on how things are going for you. I know I appreciate the details w/out having to bug you.
ReplyDeleteGot skunked at Elk Camp this year but had a really good time. Hunted more this year due to being drawn for Big Bull and Cow. Saw a herd of about 50+ one day, but they were way out of range. The still looked like little dogs in my binoculars - lol. Oh well, next year!
Started the hunt with 6" of snow where we camp, and 1' where we like to hunt. Couple days later we had 1' at camp, and 2' up high. The second week, the snow rained off and we had rain 50% of the time. Crazy weather. I am not sure where Fall went.
Anyway, just stopping in to catch up. Take care! Will be thinking of you a little bit extra on the 3rd. D2