To get an idea of the size of the tumor, here is an image from the CT scan below. To orient this picture, the top of the picture is my abdomen, the right side of my body is the left side of the picture, so imagine my feet were pointed at you. The dark image between the two yellow arrows is the tumor itself.
The dimensions are 7" X 5" X 4.5" so it is rather large. There is a lot of potential space in this part of the body for a tumor to grow into, so these can usually grow quite large and go unnoticed. Because I was asymptomatic it was only by feeling the mass that I discovered it. Luckily, I am pretty skinny so was able to catch it earlier than most.

Yeah, it's totally okay to be completely shocked by the size. I do not have a great poker face and totally started crying when this showed up on the ultrasound, which was the first thing the doctor ordered. Who knew something could grow so big and yet it only feels like a baseball in diameter under his stomach muscle. In a weird way, I love this picture. This picture keeps us grounded and is a good reminder of what we are up against.
ReplyDeleteHalloween bonus: see if you can spot the spooky skull face on the right side of the picture. It's like Todd has an ally in his belly to fight this thing.
Wow! Wow to the size, and WOW to the spooky skull face you have "on your side" lol... Keep going Todd and Stephanie! D2
ReplyDelete